The Literary Shopaholic is a sporadic feature on Pop! Goes The Reader in which I highlight some of my favourite literary-themed items. From bookmarks to bookends, purses to prints and everything in between, I’ve selected a few things that will be at the very top of my shopping list this season!
For those of you who weren’t following Pop! Goes The Reader this time last year, last December Ginger at GReads! and I hosted a special seasonal series called Stuff Your Stocking. Over the course of three weeks, Ginger and I shared book-related gift guides inspired by some of the novels we love most (See: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Little House On The Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder), something I’ve continued to do with my own feature, The Literary Shopaholic. While time and other commitments prevented Ginger and I from hosting the series in its entirety this year, I’ve noticed a great deal of renewed interest in these posts over the last couple of weeks and decided to put together another gift guide, albeit a much more general one. All items included are $40.00 or less and I have tried, when possible, to support independently-run establishments because I think it’s so important to support the beautiful work these artists are creating. So break out those wallets and warm up those credit cards – We have some shopping to do!
Still not sure you’ve found the perfect gift for the literary lover on your list this season? Why not buy a book for them instead? They do make the best gifts, after all 😉 Best of all, these are books about books. I know. I just blew your mind.
1) The Shelf: From LEQ to LES: Adventures in Extreme Reading by Phyllis Rose
3) Texts from Jane Eyre and Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Mallory Ortberg
4) The Library Book by Alan Bennett, Rebecca Gray, et al.
5) How To Be a Heroine by Samantha Ellis
6) Where I’m Reading From: The Changing World of Books by Tim Parks
7) The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell
8) Everything I Need To Know I Learned From A Little Golden Book by Diane Muldrow
9) Well-Read Women: Portraits of Fiction’s Most Beloved Heroines by Samantha Hahn
10) One for the Books by Joe Queenan
11) Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle
12) The Novel Cure: 751 Books to Cure What Ails You by Ella Berthoud & Susan Elderkin